High dose, 1000 mcg methylated folate, as the all natural 6S isomer
Folate and Human Health
Folate is one of the most essential nutrients needed during rapid cell division and growth. It is no surprise that pregnancy doubles the need for dietary folates. Folate coenzymes play a vital role in metabolism through two different pathways: the synthesis of DNA from its precursors (purines/thymidines) and the homocysteine (methionine) pathway. 5-MTHF is needed for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine which allows for the production of S-adenosylmethionine (known as SAMe). The importance of this is that SAMe is the universal methyl donor. Methyl-group donation is vital to proper cell replication and differentiation, and to many biochemical conversion processes, including the synthesis of serotonin, melatonin, and DNA.
Folate vs. Folic Acid
While folates are naturally occurring in food, folic acid is a fully oxidized, synthetic compound (pteroylmonoglutamic acid) used in most dietary supplements and in food fortification, but is not found in nature. Designs for Health uses only natural folates found in food rather than folic acid. Due to enzyme defects or deficiencies, many people do not properly convert folic acid into natural folates including 5-MTHF.
L-5-MTHF was designed for patients with demonstrated increased need for folate such as those with either the A1298C or C677T MTHFR mutation. It provides 1000 mcg per capsule of folate in the bioidentical, bioactive form, 5-MethylTetraHydroFolate. L-5-MTHF (the "L" signifying that it is the all-natural [6S] isomer) is the active circulating form of folate found in the body and one of the several forms found in food. In nature it is found only as this [6S] isomer, which is why DFH provides 5-MTHF as this natural isomer rather than the mixed (or racemic) form.
L-5-MTHF should be used when high doses of folate are needed.
Individuals who have tested homozygous with either the A1298C or C677T MTHFR mutation, or those with elevated homocysteine levels, should be using L-5-MTHF as the preferred form of folate supplementation. This will be more effective for them than other forms of folic acid or folates.
Others who may benefit from L-5-MTHF:
- Pregnant women and women wishing to become pregnant who have familial history of depression, high homocysteine levels, or genetic defect in MTHFR. Note: Pregnant women should use Prenatal Pro as their comprehensive multivitamin; can combine with L-5-MTHF if higher levels of folate are needed.
- Women with abnormal pap smears (precancerous)
- Those with very high homocysteine levels not responding quickly to Homocysteine Supreme™(consider using them together)
- Dialysis patients
- Organic acid testing that reveals elevated FIGLU (marker used to identify folate deficiency)
- Patients with family history of dementia/vascular dementia
- Patients with depression
- Long-term alcoholism
- Long-term use of oral contraceptives, and persistent use of medications to lower folate levels, including high doses of NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen; anticonvulsants (phenytoin, phenobarbital, and primidone); trimethoprim (antibiotic), pyrimethamine (antimalarial), triamterene (blood pressure med.) and sulfasalazine (treatment for ulcerative colitis).
Do not take 5-MTHF simultaneously with the cholesterol-lowering agents cholestyramine or colestipol because they may decrease the absorption of folate.
Serving Size: 1 capsule
Product Contains: Folate (as [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate) 1000 mcg
Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, spinach
|Does Not Contain||
wheat, yeast, soy, gluten, eggs, dairy, corn, artificial colors, flavors, sugars, or preservatives.
As a dietary supplement, take one capsule daily or as directed by your health care practitioner
STORE IN A COOL, DRY PLACE.
|Additional Notes||These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.|