At complete nutrition and wellness, we recently started measuring body composition through a sophisticated scientific tool called Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer (BIA). BIA is one of the most accurate methods of measuring body fat, muscle and water and it has been an invaluable tool for our weight loss program.
What is it?
Simply explained, BIA measures the impedance or resistance to the signal as it travels through the water that is found in muscle and fat. The more muscle a person has, the more water their body can hold. The greater the amount of water in a person’s body, the easier it is for the current to pass through it. The more fat the person has, the more resistance to the current. BIA is completely safe and it does not hurt. In fact, the signal used in body fat monitors cannot be felt at all either by an adult or child.
How is it performed?
While the person is lying down, 4 electrodes are attached to the foot and hand and a small electric signal is circulated. The person’s height, age, gender and weight along with other characteristics such as body type and physical activity level are entered in a sophisticated computer system. The results show:
- Body fat percentage
- Total pounds of fat
- Total pounds of muscle
- Total pounds of water
- Total body water with a differential of water both in and out of the cell
Advantages to using this method
- Clearly differentiates between muscle and water. This is essential especially in the beginning of a weight loss program. (It is common to lose water and gain muscle or vice versa, but a net weight would miss this.)
- Much more precise than scales and hand held devices which measure body fat
- Does not have personal error as with calipers
- Computer system provides a progress graph citing every gain and loss in each body compartment from each visit to accurately track progress.
Body composition analysis in performed in every weight loss consultation we do and is an integral part of creating a custom plan for each individual. Please Contact us today to set up your appointment!