Monthly Archives: December 2010

Mercury Fillings

Metal toxicity is a serious issue and leads to a myriad of health problems. I routinely test patients and often see elevated metals, especially mercury in their Hair Analysis. Mercury is found in the air and water due to pollution as well as in seafood, vaccines and various personal health products.

Another big contributor to elevated mercury is amalgam fillings. The American Dental Association has not admitted that amalgams are harmful to health, however extensive research shows exactly how harmful they actually are.

Mercury is most potent in its vapor form and when the filling is exposed to friction or heat such as chewing of drinking a hot beverage, vapor is released and inhaled. To illustrate this, the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology created a video where an extracted tooth with a silver filling is placed against a special screen to show vapor emissions. The tooth is exposed to heat to imitate drinking hot coffee and rubbed with an eraser to imitate friction during chewing or teeth grinding. I highly recommend that you check out the video at it is quite amazing.

Seeing this, it is hard to believe the dental association still doesn’t admit amalgams are dangerous. They do however have specific precautions on how to handle amalgam material and various disposal restrictions. Dentists can actually get fined if they do not dispose of extracted amalgam material properly. It is quite interesting the material is considered hazardous before it is in your mouth and after it is removed but not during the time it is in your body. HHMM….

Next time you have a cavity and have a choice of the type of material to use, always chose the white composites. If you already have amalgams, I typically recommend getting them removed. But wait! Don’t just run to any dentist. Removing amalgams can sometimes do more harm than good because drilling into the filling creates a lot of heat thus exposing the patient to a very high amount of mercury vapor created from that heat.

I recommend finding a biological dentist who will give you an oxygen mask to prevent inhaling vapors and uses high speed suction and a rubber damn (blue or green piece of rubber placed over the tooth) to prevent swallowing fractions of the filling. Even with the best dental care however, some vapors can penetrate the body so I often recommend a nutritional protocol for a few weeks before, during and after filling removal or extra protection.  This is especially necessary if you are removing multiple fillings.

Recommended Protocol
Stellar C – strong antioxidant  (1 capsule with each meal)
NAC – liver protector  (1 capsule twice daily between meals)
Lipoic Acid Supreme – antioxidant and liver protector  (1 capsule with breakfast)
Modifilan – potent algae used to absorb excess metal and toxins  (3 capsules first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.)

This protocol works great to protect your system if you are exposed to vapors. If you have chronic health issues, your body may require more support. Please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to customize a protocol specifically for you.

If you are not sure your dentist will use the right precautions and want to be sure you are getting good care, you can search for qualified dentists in this directory.

If you are in the NYC area, a great dentist is Dr. Marina Mats 212-732-2200. She safely removed all of my fillings (as many of you know, I had a lot!) and she is truly wonderful. There are numerous dentists in her practice but my best experience was with her specifically.